Each educational institution has its own unique path in the educational history of the people and its own creative furrow in the field of the national system of education and science. Without exaggeration, along with such cities as Lviv, Ostrog, Lutsk, our Kremenets can be considered one of the primary sources, and for many decades the center of origin, formation and development of higher education not only in Volyn region, but throughout Western Ukraine.
The Brotherhood School has been operating here since 1636 as a branch of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. And it was Kremenets that two years after the founding of this school presented the first grammar textbook to Ukrainian educators.
During 1731–1753, the Church of the Holy Spirit was built with premises for the Jesuit college - this is how the famous historical and architectural complex, known as the “Kremenets Lyceum” or “Lyceum Building”, was built. And the Jesuit College - a prestigious educational institution of that time - functioned during 1756-1773.
Two decades after the college, from 1774 to 1793, in its buildings there were district and sub-district schools. The latter in its structure had three classes with two years of study in each of them.
Since 1803, a single system of education has been introduced in what was then Russia: a university, a gymnasium, a county school, and a parish school. On July 29, 1805, Alexander I signed the Charter of the Volyn Gymnasium authored by Tadeusz Chatski and Hugo Kolontay, which marked the beginning of the existence of this famous educational institution, which was opened on October 1, 1805. The term of study at the gymnasium was 10 years, and the initial staff included 31 people, of whom - 19 teachers, 7 support staff and 5 - administrative.
The gymnasium functioned until January 18, 1819 - the day when Alexander I by his decree reorganized it into the Volyn lyceum with the same term of study - 10 years, of which the first four years were one-year classes, and the next six - 3 two-year courses.The staff of teachers was formed at the expense of graduates of Krakow and Vilnius universities, and then from their graduates who received a university education. Among the last prominent figures were the writer Joseph Kozhenyovsky, naturalist Anthony Andrzejowski, philosopher Michal Vyshnevsky and others.
The lyceum enrolled more than six hundred students who studied five languages (Russian, Polish, Greek, German, French and Latin), five more subjects of natural sciences and mathematics (botany, zoology, chemistry, physics, mathematics), four social -economic disciplines (history, geography, law, political economy with elements of commerce), electives (architecture, mineralogy, military affairs), as well as courses in drawing, music, singing, choreography, fencing and horseback riding.
The nominal successor of the Volyn Lyceum was the Volyn Theological Seminary, which functioned in 1836–1902. The contingent of seminary students was 500-600 students, annual graduation - about 100 people; The main disciplines were Greek, Latin, Church Slavonic, Scripture, Bible history, church charter, liturgy, catechism, theology, church history. Training was conducted in Russian.
The next was the Volyn Vitaliyivka Diocesan Women's School, which existed from 1881 in private houses, and from 1902 to 1920, after the closure of the seminary, in its premises. About 140 pupils studied in three classes of the school, with whom 13 teachers and 6 educators worked. Various subjects were studied: the Law of God, literature, Russian language, history, geography, arithmetic, geometry, physics, didactics, singing, handicrafts.
The library of the school consisted of more than a thousand titles of books of fundamental importance, more than 400 titles of student textbooks and manuals, in addition - literature of economic and commercial content, various periodicals.
From May 27, 1920 to September 1939 in the historical buildings of the former Jesuit College, Volyn Gymnasium and Volyn Lyceum operated their new educational successor - Kremenets Lyceum, which, having a multifunctional educational and production structure, became a prominent phenomenon in socio-cultural life.
The structure of the lyceum consisted of: the gymnasium named after Tadeusz Chatski, which was eventually reorganized into a humanities and natural sciences lyceum; teacher's gymnasium on the basis of secondary education; seventh-grade basic school, pedagogical lyceum, farming and forestry school, as well as handicraft and industrial schools of various profiles in Vyshnivka, Smyza, Lidikhiv, Bilokrynytsia; there were music and art courses for music and drawing teachers, respectively.
The cultural life of the lyceum was rich: the school theater worked, the symphony orchestra was famous for its performances, there was a society of photographers, headed by the famous photographer of that time Henryk Germanovich; The magazine Zhyttia Kremenetske was published, and books of its own authorship were published, in particular, Kremenets and Kremenets Lyceum in 1920–1935. The contingent of students approached 900 people.
The Teachers' Institute operated until the beginning of the occupation of Kremenets by fascist troops. Its work was resumed after the liberation of the city: on September 1, 1944, the academic year began with 150 students who studied at the linguistic-literary, historical, natural-geographical and physical-mathematical faculties. The educational process was provided by 36-39 teachers, of which only one had a scientific degree.
In 1950, the teacher's institute was reorganized into a pedagogical one with the same faculties, only the faculty of physical education was opened, but the historical faculty was liquidated. The contingent of students has grown to 1,000 people in the inpatient department and up to 2,000 people in the correspondence department. The scientific and personnel potential has been strengthened: 112 teachers worked at 11 departments, of which more than 20 had scientific degrees and academic titles in the early 1960s. Graduates ranged from 90 to 240 people in the hospital and from 100 to 360 - by correspondence. Evidence of the powerful capabilities of the educational and material base of the institute was its library - about 250 thousand books.
In 1969, the institute was transferred to Ternopil, where it now functions as the Volodymyr Hnatyuk National Pedagogical University, and the Kremenets Pedagogical School was opened in its educational buildings, which in 1989 was named after Taras Shevchenko. The pedagogical school trained specialists in two specialties: teachers of labor and drawing (contingent - 120 students) and educators of preschool institutions (contingent - 60 students). The teaching staff was 19 people. At the end of its existence - in the 1990/91 school year - the school increased the number of students to 2,000, the number of teachers to 128, and the number of graduates was 540 full-time and 160 part-time.
On June 5, 1991, the pedagogical college passed the educational baton from the pedagogical school, which lasted until July 26, 2002, when the current humanitarian and pedagogical institute was established on its basis. During its existence, the college has increased the number of students from 1,200 to 1,600 people, teaching staff - from 102 to 182 people, and the number of teachers with degrees has doubled. The most important achievement was the training of specialists in new specialties: along with preschool teachers and teachers of technological work began training teachers of music and fine arts, English and German, biology and physical education.
A new page in the history of educational institutions that existed in our educational buildings was opened and continues to be successfully written by the Taras Shevchenko Institute for Humanities and Pedagogy, initiated and organized by its current rector, honorary academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine , Professor Afanasiy Lomakovich.
Relevant scientific and pedagogical potential, opening of a master's degree in "Biology", "Music", "Technological Education"; scientific publications in the format of monographs, textbooks with the stamp of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, articles in prestigious professional publications; participation in international and national scientific forums; conducting scientific conferences on the basis of the institute and publishing collections of scientific works of the institute's specialists; productive creative connections with higher educational institutions and scientific institutions of Ukraine and abroad; constant work on improving the educational and material base of the institute; strengthening ties with preschool and secondary schools is evidence of achievements to date, and a sign of understanding the levers of ensuring positive prospects for the development of the institute in the direction of achieving a high status and guaranteeing a stable place in the modern system of national education.
On March 6, 2012, the 43rd session of the Ternopil Regional Council of the fifth convocation decided to change the type and rename Kremenets Taras Shevchenko Regional Institute of Humanities and Pedagogy into Kremenets Taras Shevchenko Regional Academy of Humanities and Pedagogy.
After the implementation of a set of procedures provided by law of legal, administrative and scientific-pedagogical nature, preparation of the necessary regulations, the State Registration Service of Ukraine registered the Charter of Kremenets Taras Shevchenko Regional Academy of Humanities and Pedagogy.
The official part of the process of reorganization of the institute by transforming it into an academy ended and November 18, 2014 - the day of registration of the Academy Charter - became the starting point of a new stage in the historical progress of our alma mater - in the status of the Academy of Humanities and Pedagogy.